Ingredients for Yam Pepper Soup
- 3 teaspoons ground ehu seeds (Calabash nutmeg, ariwo)
- Scent leaves (Nchuanwu, Efirin)
- 2 onions
- 1.5kg (3.3 lbs) assorted beef. I used:Beef
- Habanero or Chilli Pepper (to taste)
- 2 big seasoning cubes
- 1kg yam (white puna yam)
- Salt (to taste)
Before you cook Yam Pepper Soup
- Peel and cut the yam tuber into medium cubes. wash and set aside.
- Peel and grind the ehu seeds with a dry mill.
- Slice the onions, scent leaves and the pepper.
- Split the beef in sizes.
Directions for cooking
- Start cooking the toughest meat first that is the cow tripe. Put in a pot, add the seasoning cubes and one of the onions (diced).
- Put water to cover the contents and start cooking on medium heat. Keep an eye on it and top up the water when necessary.
- After 30 minutes, add the fleshy part of beef and continue cooking.
- Add the heart and kidney after 15 minutes, yam cubes, second onion (diced), salt and continue to cook. Add water to the same level as the contents of the pot if necessary.
- When the yam is soft and a little porridge starts to form, add the sliced pepper and the scent leaves.
- For 2 minutes, stir, cover and cook, and it’s done!