Skip to content
Ingredients for Yam Balls
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup Peak Milk
- 7 small cubes of butter
- 1kg (2.2lbs) white yam
- 1 small fresh paprika
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 small seasoning cube
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- ½ red onion
Before you prepare Yam Balls
- Dice the peppers and onion.
- Boil two of the eggs till hard. Then cut into pieces.
- Peel and cut the yam tuber into medium cubes. Rinse the yam cubes and place in a sizable pot.
- Pour enough water into the yam cubes, add the seasoning cube and black pepper and start cooking at medium heat.
- After 30 minutes, the yam should be soft with a little water in the pot. Add salt and the cubes of butter, stir and set aside to cool down a bit.
- Pour a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and peppers for about 7 minutes.
- Mash the boiled yam, adding Peak Milk as you mash. You just need to mash the yam for a bit.
- Add the fried peppers and onions and mix very well.
- Set some vegetable oil in a deep pan to heat up. The oil should be 3 inches deep.
- Mould the mashed yam into balls and set aside.
- Break the remaining egg and whisk.
- When the oil is hot, coat each yam ball with the beaten egg before throwing into the hot oil. Put as many balls as you can without overcrowding.
- Stir often and extract it from the oil at the first sign of browning.