Like samosa, spring rolls origin isn’t from Nigeria but then, again Nigerians have created a special place in their heart for this snack.
Spring rolls are filled with vegetables (spring) all wrapped in a roll, hence the name, spring roll. However, because we love beef and other animal proteins (I mean, we all know that a Nigerian’s meal isn’t complete without meat, lol), our very own Nigerian style spring roll filling combines beef with the veggies which make it totally delicious.
For the crust
1. Minced chicken breast or beef
2. Cabbage, sliced
3. 3 medium sized carrots, grated
4. 1 onion, minced or sliced
5. 1 finely cut green bell pepper
6. Seasoning cubes
7. Curry powder
8. Salt to taste
9. Black pepper or red chilli powder
10. Chicken stock
11. Vegetable Oil
For the seal
1. 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2. 2 tablespoons cold water
For the wrapper
1. 1 cups All purpose flour
2. 2 tablespoon corn starch
3. ½ teaspoon salt
4. 1 cup cold water
5. 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Note: You can only buy some already made ones if you don’t want to make the wrapper.
For the wrapper
Bring together the rice, salt and maize starch in a pan. Make sure to blend well with it.
2. Add the cold water and stir well till the mixture is smooth and without lumps.
The batter should be a flowing consistency.
3. In a non-stick pan, using a brush or a tissue paper, grease the pan with the vegetable oil slightly and heat up the pan (on low heat).
4. Using a tablespoon, gently spread the batter around the pan in a clockwise manner (more like making a pancake) or better still using a brush, brush the batter on the surface of the pan.
Note; to be as thin as possible, you need the wrapper to avoid breakage when wrapping it around the fillings. So, whatever method you use to spread the batter over the bowl, make sure that you make it a thin cover.
5. Repeat the process until you have exhausted the mixture.
For the filling
Place the sliced cabbage in a medium-sized bowl, add the chicken stock and boil until tender.
2. Add the grated carrot and boil for about 5 minutes or until the carrot is tender. Then drain the water out.
3. In a skillet, heat up vegetable oil, add the chopped onion and fry till the onion gets slightly brown
4. Add the minced chicken breast. Add seasoning cubes, curry powder, red chilli and salt to taste. Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the veggies and the chopped green bell pepper. Fry for another 5 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, mix plain flour and water together. This will serve as the binder to seal the spring roll wrap.
Stretch the wrap over a flat surface, place some fillings on the wrap end and roll it to the other side all the way. Use a comb to properly apply the flour-water mixture at the roll edge and seal the open ends inside the roll.
Deep fry the rolls of the spring until crispy and crusty.
There you go! Enjoy your spring rolls!